Saturday, February 4, 2012

St. John's Regionals

So today I attended the regional's debate tournament at St. John's School! My partner Jason and I worked so late yesterday night trying to finish up our notes...and we got a lot of notes! Anyways, we got to the school and before the rounds started they gave us little souvenirs such as a pin and a foldable water bottle. Hhehehe. ANYWAYS.....Let's get to the rounds.

Round 1: Us vs. Vancouver College. Gah. Those guys were pretty good. We came pretty close but unfortunately we lost this round I think. It was the first debate round of the morning so my team was kinda rusty. But we did better in Round 2! It was us vs. Vancouver College again but a different team. I think we might've won this round! The opposition team made some really weird comments which didn't make sense. These two rounds were the prepared rounds. Then we had lunch. Lunch box had a rosemary chicken sandwich with antipesto spread, a cookie + an apple. That was okay. And then we got our impromptu topic. I ALMOST DIDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I HEARD FOR THE IMPROMPTU TOPIC. The resolution was: BIRT that fear is the lock and laughter is the key. I was like O.O WUT. Then my partner explained to me and I realized what it meant. We were suppose to model this thing! Ughghghghghghg. First round of impromptu was okay. We were against the Little Flower Academy. I am actually not too sure about that round's result. But it wasn't bad. Then the final round we faced one of the guy we had faced in the UBC tournament! It was Dimos from Eric Hamber! He was a pretty good debater as well. This time he had a new partner (last time his partner was this grade 8 girl named Natasha) I think we won this round, because his partner wasn't that strong.

Anyways, it had been a long day. Although we didn't make it into the provincials, I am still pretty happy with myself. At this stage I am not expected that much of earning places. I am still an amateur and right now it is my learning stage! Going to the regionals at St. John made me learn a lot of things. Another thing I was pretty satisfied with is that I contributed the most useful notes for our team. Weeeee! Overall it was a really good experience. I think I am improving everytime I participate in a debate tournament!

No comments:

Post a Comment