Sunday, August 14, 2011

Again, Reaction + Thoughts After Reading Fang-Yu's Blog

Just read Fang-Yu's blog about childhood, and oh my it was a waayyyyy different childhood from my own. I didn't grow up in Canada. I grew up in Hainan, China (the island at the bottom of the Chinese territory map) and stayed there for 11 years. According to my parents, I was brought to my grandparents' house when I was only 4 months old and stayed there 'til the age of 3, then back to my own house, thennnn back to their house at the age of 5, and stayed there 'til 11. Strangely, I don't remember me having A LOT OF toys (eh, two pokemon balls, a box of animal figurines, a bunny stuffy->omg I actually made clothes for it using cloth and yarn) but I did and still do have a lot of teddy bears (One was even bigger than me). Unfortunately I WAS FORBIDDEN TO PLAY WITH THEM (how cruel!) Cuz my mom was scared that I might get asthma from all the dust hidden in the teddy's fur. Well enough about that. My childhood was more about bugs and nature.

I wasn't scared of bugs. Not even centipedes. I used to have a daddy-long-leg by my bed (it made a web there and I used to feed it <with freshly-caught ants>daily at 12:pm). Caught tadpoles (not bugs!) with friends. SO MUCH WIN.

Oh ya and wild edibles. My grandma has this small garden full of herbs and one orange tree. I actually know some wild edibles. There was this purple berry herb. You can eat the berries and use the leaves to make yummy soup. Oh and starfruit trees. Me and my bud used to eat its flowers (pinkish, with starfruit scent) Hahaha not really, but it was fun chewing them. I had coconuts daily cuz they were so yummy. I ATE A LOT AND STILL DO. And barbecues! Except they weren't "real" barbecues. Me and my friends just used the bricks and stones we found and built a tiny oven in an open space with only dirt and we used to roast peanuts, sweet potatoes, sausages and dried squids. LAWL. SO YUMMY.

Me and my friends used to sneak into this huge orchard. It's not a private orchard so anyone could go in. (mom: DON'T GO INTO THE ORCHARD THERE MIGHT BE PEDOS IN THERE) but we went anyway and didn't see a single pedo.

The orchard had a lot of stuff. Lemon shrub, mint herbs, vegetables, flowers and others. We used to get lemons and mint from there. Hahhahahah. I didn't dare to go in there by myself but my best friend was with me so it gave me the courage to do so.

I loved to, uh, how do you say this------tinker? Yeah, I used to collect metal rings, wood pieces from nearby construction sites, nails and stuff and tried to make them into something. Didn't always worked but worth the try. And I also drew on walls. My mom was sooooooo mad so she made me stop. Heheheh. I also drew on furnitures.

Hheheheheh. This is all over the place. My childhood was incredible. Many people think that kids in China just study all day and have piano and stuff and no free time. That may be partly true. I don't know about other kids but I've had my fun in my childhood. My schedule was packed with school work and extracurricular stuff, but I still had space for funs and adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment