Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Time Being a Piano Tutor

So today it was my fiiiiirst time being a piano tutor! I had to tutor this 6-year-old girl for two hours today, and I am going again tomorrow. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and a really exciting experience. I mean, I've helped my 12-year-old cousin with his piano, but I've never really tutored someone who is not from the family. So I had the kid play the piano pieces, then I would tell her to play the right-hand part first, then the left hand, then combine together-----something I do for my piano practices. She wasn't really familiar with the method. I think before I came she probably learned a piece with both hands at the same time, but splitting the parts up will definitely make the whole thing easier. Being a 6-year-old, the little girl got kinda sleepy/bored after a while, and I had to encourage her to keep on going...took a lot of effort, but I can understand, because I've had the same experience many times in my childhood-----getting sleepy during a piano practice. I was really nice, but I had my rules----when she didn't want to play a piece anymore because she was getting kinda bored from repeating the piece (but she still couldn't get the piece right), I didn't let her skip. Instead I told her to keep going and get the piece right. So that was new...ANYWAYZ, IT WAS REALLY AWESOME BEING ABLE TO HELP SOMEONE WITH THEIR PIANO.

No comments:

Post a Comment