Thursday, March 1, 2012

Holocaust Education Centre

Today we went to the Jewish Community Centre (think that's what it's called) and went to the Holocaust Education Centre. This was for English because we were studying a comic book called Maus and it's about the Holocaust. What we did today is that this lady showed us this really good short film on the Jews during the Holocaust and omg it was incredible. Kinda sad too. Then the best part. We got a survivor of the Holocaust to talk to us! He is 77 years old and he was a child during the Holocaust. Basically during the Holocaust his family was living in Budapest, Hungary and his dad was a doctor. But then he got taken away and I think he mentioned his dad died in a concentration camp. He, his mom and his little brother were taken to the ghetto. Then he described all the hard living in the ghetto. It was just so emotional and I felt really really sad. I just don't get it. Why would such a terrible thing like the Holocaust happen?! It just makes me mad. He also talked about how they were almost killed but the German officer changed his mind, and that was how he survived. He also told us that his grandpa was killed while marching to one of the camps. He was shot when he tried to stop an officer from beating up an old guy. That just made me even sadder :'( I was really really sad when I walked home with Carina today. This trip to the Holocaust Education Centre is really powerful and I've definitely learned many impotant things.

No comments:

Post a Comment