Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Blog With Mom (5)

Mom: My daughter went to the St. George Debate today. Her dad went to pick her up so I cooked dinner. I also cooked some peanut soup for her. She came back almost 9:30. I thought the event would end at 7:30 but apparently they were not always right on schedule. Nevertheless, it was a very good practice for Mimi and a great opportunity.

Me: Ghahhahahah today I finally went to the St. George's Debate! At lunch I changed into my formal outfit. It was really intense and awkward to be seem in a dress...People were like looking at me and I was like -.- Anyways, I left school at 2:15 and Shanna's mom gave us a ride. When we got to St. Georges we waited for a while for the event briefing to start. Then we were introduced our resolution. I thought my team was on the affirmative side, and our resolution was something like : This House would establish an anti-bullying legistration. But then------something happened. So my partner Jason and I rushed to our room to prepare for our speech, and then there were two guys standing outside the room staring at us. I could hear them saying "Aren't we suppose to debate with the Crofton House girls?" Then I was like WHAT. Then the Crofton people arrived and we were just like O.o They told us that we've made a mistake because our school code was so similar, and that when it was displayed on the screen we probably mistaken theirs for ours. So we rushed back to McClean Hall and asked the host, and she got our right room. We were on the opposition side and we were facing two guys from private school, of which I presumed to be either St. George's or Vancouver College. They were really good speakers! I was a bit rusty for that round. Our opponents had some great points but their lack of respect for us really annoyed me. During our speeches they were talking to each other really loud and giggling. OH GEEZ! I was seriously annoyed. Jason addressed their inappropriateness in his speech and I hope the judge heard us.

For second round we debated a different topic, and this time we were on the affirmative side. Our new resolution was: This House would put strengthening the Canadian Criminal Code as priority (something like that). I think we did way better for that round! We were debating against University Hill students and they were not as strong as our opponents from the first round. I was more confident in that round. Our opponents went slightly off-topic in that round and went onto issues concerning the economy, education and homelessness rather than focusing on the given issue. Overall I think we did better in the second round.

Today had been a busy day and now I am just s exhausted! But the tournament was really epicly fun and I hope we can get another chance to do one soon! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment