Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Day at Burnaby Lake

Every Saturday my family and two friends would go on a lower mainland trip together. Today we selected Burnaby Lake to be our destination. I have been to Burnaby Lake before. It was last summer and we saw a beaver at the dam. I was hoping that we would have this kind of luck today as well. We went on the old millennium sky train and stopped at Sperling Station, then walked to the park. It was a long hike, and I was really annoyed by the mosquitoes which constantly bugged me. The area around the lake is basically marshes covered with bushes of these green weeds. While I was walking I made myself a bow using a nice stretchy branch and marsh grass. The whole park was so quiet, and the only sounds I could hear were the chirping of the birds and the insects hidden in the marsh. When we were a quarter way through the park, hunger seized me. I searched my backpack for food, but I could only find two bottles of water and my maps. Great. My dad forgot to pack some snacks. Oh well. We walked for a little while, and I was almost fainting from hunger. Finally we arrived at the dam, and what luck, we didn't spot a single beaver, only a few ducks. But hey, I could finally eat! We went on the sky train again, and arrived at my favorite Japanese hot pot restaurant------Posh. The sight of food made me feel alive again. I learned an important lesson today------ never go on a trip when you are feeling hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment