Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Debate Tryout

Today after school, we had a debate tryout for the debate tournament in UBC. Even since I joined the debate club, I have been looking forward to this tryout for days. Although this was my first time debating, I was still excited, and I was really confident. We had ten people who came to the tryout, so we split into five groups of two. Our first topic was on legalizing prostitution in this country, and my team was the opposing team. We only had about 7 minutes to prepare our speech and summarize our ideas, so it was very tense, but we were able to manage it. When it was my turn, I got up stage and greeted everyone, then brought on my speech. During my presentation, people from the other team stood up and asked me questions, and I answered some of them, because I have only got 5 minutes to do my speech. After my timing was up, I got off stage and listened to the other team's speech. While I was listening to it, I also took notes, so that I could come up with idea to break down their reasons. The debate ended shortly after and it was indeed a good match, and on Thursday night we will be able to see on the email they send us to see who is the lucky student who gets to go to the UBC tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment