Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Body World

Today we went to Telus World of Science for the amazing body world show. The show is actually called Body World 2, and there previous show was held in 2006. Today we got a chance to see it, and it was really cool. The displays are all made of real samples from body donors, and I was kinda scared before I went in, because DUH! They are dead bodies! But once we got in, I relaxed, because these displays weren't that scary at all. They were real bodies all right, and they have been inplastinated so that the flesh wouldn't rot and the bodies would be well preserved. Some of the bodies were carefully dissected to show the structure of the body and the organs and body parts, and there was this display called "Angel", with blonde hair and shoulder blades split open at the back. I think that it got its name because of the shoulder blades which resembled wings. There were displays of organ samples, all protected in glass containers. I was so tempted to touch them, but we were not allowed to. Fortunately, there was a little station where we could touch some of the samples like kidneys and livers. It felt kinda like plastic models. There was a special section for babies, and we saw glasses of liquid containing fetuses. A pregnant woman's body stood there as part of the display. I felt sorry for the babies who died and became part of the exhibit, and that woman who was going to be a mother if she hadn't deceased during her pregnancy. A part of the exhibit also featured blood vessels, and they were all dyed crimson red. The blood vessels made me shudder so I moved on to the brains. The brains were smaller than I thought, and they looked repulsive (descriptive!). I was amazed. I definitely learned a lot from this show, and I would like to thank the donors for donating these bodies so that we could learn and understand about us human more.

No comments:

Post a Comment