Sunday, November 14, 2010

This Book Sure is Hard to Understand

Today I spent my whole morning reading a book called Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. It's a challenging book, because it's basically a memoir about the history of China from the last century. It's really complicated. The author wrote about her grandmother, who was a concubine from a rich family, her mother, who got involved in communism, and herself, who got involved in with communism as well. It's basically like a history book. There were a lot of facts about China several decades ago, and I did a lot of checking with my dad to make sure that the book is stating out the true facts about China, and it turned out it did. The author recorded the time of the great Leap Forward and the famine, which was the most insane time of China. I was shocked when I read about how people suffered during that time. The author herself didn't suffer much, because her family had high authority and her parents were high-ranking officials, but her observation toward the world around her was keen. I learned a lot while I read this book. In fact, the only reason that I picked this book from the Independent Reading Program is because this book focuses on the New China when Chairman Mao reigned. Anyway, the whole book was hard to understand. I am having a hard time reading and undertanding everything, but overall, this book is very interesting and I am still reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment